Sunday, August 28, 2011

About Me

        My name is Josh Adkison, and I am from a tiny town called Hurley, MS, which is thirty miles west of Mobile.  I am a Secondary Education English major here at South.  I chose education because I have always had a passion for English and Literature, and I also would like to coach one day.  I came to South Alabama right after high school because it was close enough to home that I didn't have to pay for campus living.  When I left high school I had never really had to study before, and I carried those habits to college; this didn't end well.  I was then forced to relocate to a glorious institution called Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.  After a year there I was ready to embark on a second tour of duty at South Alabama, and it has gone better this time around.  When I first came back I was a nursing major, but I quickly discovered that would not be my ideal future.  That left me with education, which I then realized is what I had wanted all along.  It just took a ridiculously long time to figure that out.
       I have several hobbies that fill my days.  I play a good bit of basketball, which is also what I would like to coach one day.  I also like reading, playing video games, cooking, and watching sports.  It is a pretty crazy lifestyle, but I manage.


Time Management
       Randy Pausch's speech on time management actually has some very good pointers and tips.  I have always had a serious problem with time management and.  Obviously I am a world-class procrastinator because of the fact that this post is running exceedingly close to the deadline; however, I am attempting to improve my time management skills everyday.  The one aspect I will try to incorporate from Pausch's speech is the frog analogy.  Most of the time when I have a list of tasks to complete I start with the easiest, which causes me to put off the most difficult, and in life generally the most difficult tasks are also the most important.

1 comment:

  1. It is great to have you in EDM 310! I hope that you have a great time and we want you to come to the labs anytime you have questions.

    We really like Randy Pausch here in EDM so you will be seeing him more in the semester!

    ReplyDelete